Intended recipient

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Sep 13 11:02:58 BST 2011

In article <002501cc71f4$2c3547f0$849fd7d0$@net>, James Firth
<james2 at jfirth.net> writes
>> Would the activity of these researchers (or malicious counterparts) be
>> an interception in the UK; and as they've modified the public DNS to do
>> this, is it an interception on a public network and therefore criminal?
>
>"Modified the public DNS", in that they lawfully purchased internet
>domains...
>
>They may have violated trademarks, or indeed be guilty of fraud
>(?impersonation?), but don't see how this can be interception.

It's difficult, isn't it! Their stated aim was to intercept (small i)
emails, of course.

And attaching croc clips to wires on a telegraph pole probably isn't
illegal *as such* - it's a form of interference with property or perhaps
trespass, but I'm not familiar with what criminal law it immediately
infringes, before you start listening to the conversations.