Tony Sale, Colossus computer conservationist, dies

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 10:31:22 BST 2011

End of June I had to be in Milton Keynes for a morning meeting, so
decided to travel the previous day, go to Bletchley Park, then stay
overnight. This was only my second visit, the first one (courtesy of
Bristol BCS section, who had hried a coach and invited me to fill a
spare seat) being only a short time after the museum got started.

Colossus should be running, I was told in reception, so I trekked up the
hill. As I and a couple of other people were looking at the exhibits in
the first room, an old man came walking quickly through. Only after he
had passed did I realise that it was Tony, looking very much older than
the pictures that I had seen.

Walking round to Colossus, which was indeed running, I got talking to
one of the volunteer guides and an American who had worked in one of the
wartime listening stations on the east coast of Scotland. Then Tony
appeared from behind Colossus and a very brief exchange ensued before he
disappeared again - I sensed that he was closing down.

Tony was but a boy when stored program computer architecture was first
developed around the time that I was born. At the core of what we use
now, the principles are still the same, albeit we have Von Neumann and
Harvard architectures and RISC machines, and we simulate as we design
(Charles Lindsey pioneered simulation in the latter half of the 1960s
with the aid of a govt funded (ACTP) contract, and I wrote the first
large scale gate-by-gate simulation model, which was a key stage in the
development of the ICT/ICL 1904A/S/X range of mainframes).

RIP

Peter