Is Barclay's Pinsentry part of RSA SecureID - and compromised?

John Lamb ukcrypto at lawnjam.com
Mon Mar 28 13:22:59 BST 2011

I would say this attack looks serious for any banks who *are* using SecurId.

SecurID starts with a seed and continually changes over time. The security is
based around the secrecy of the seed - being able to respond with the current
number on the token proves that either you have the token itself, or you have
the seed for the token and the algorithm to generate the values.

If an attacker had all the seeds issued to an organisation, then they could
identify your token by capturing the current number on your SecurID at a known
time and comparing it to a generated list of the numbers all the issued tokens
would have been displaying at that time.
Once they have identified your token's seed they can impersonate you at any
future time. If the attacker is targeting internet banking then they have
already trojaned your PC and captured your login details, so capturing the
token value as well is trivial.

John