Adult content blocks on mobile ISPs

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Sat Mar 5 14:40:15 GMT 2011

On 5 Mar 2011, at 10:23, Roland Perry wrote:

> It's very rare for any utility company to offer more than "best
> efforts", with service-level-agreements almost unknown for domestic
> consumers.

But on the other hand, they can't escape the "reasonable skill and
care" test.  What would be reasonable skill and care?  With broadband,
"consumer" broadband connections are de facto >99.9% available, and an
ISP who delivered 80% and said "best efforts" would probably struggle
to enforce its contracts (ie, if my ISP delivered 80% availability,
I'd stop payment and argue they'd breached their side of the
contract).  But a filtering solution certainly isn't going to be 99.9%
effective, so what does "best efforts" imply?

>> Assume filtering would be aligned with BBFC criteria, so that an
>> ISP would offer 12A, 15, 18 or R18 feeds.
>
> That's a non-starter because the various 'publishers' are not
> required to rate their content, nor can an intermediary start rating
> everything on the fly. (These suggestions of yours are very 20th
> Century if I may say so. Various proposals for rating/filtering
> schemes all died out a long time ago).

They're C20 because the whole issue is C20.  If the publishers won't
rate, and the intermediary cannot rate, how can blocking work?

ian