Digital Economy Act update, draft SI

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Thu Jan 20 22:07:38 GMT 2011

James
Well spotted, thanks. It's now in the draft SI section of legislation.gov.uk as http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2011/9780111505779/contents

But it is only the cost sharing part, i.e. implementing the 75:25 split that was consulted on last spring by DBIS, and pretty much unaltered in their response in September. It may be (comments from those better informed very welcome) that once the two paths (cost sharing and obligations code) went into separate bodies (the former in DBIS the latter with OFCOM) then they have to be kept separate as SIs too?

Come to think of it, this one is *draft* and specifies things that must be in the initial obligations code. So I wonder whether that means that Ofcom *can't* publish the draft Code SI until this one has gone from draft to final? So there could be a minimum of two SI approval windows to go, perhaps?

However I note that the definitions section of this one still seems to expect the notification period to *end* on either 31st March 2012 or 31st March 2013. I note that it *doesn't* say that that period will start on 1st April 2011...

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser, JANET(UK)
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell, Didcot. OX11 0SG UK

JANET, the UK's education and research network