Starmer dumps doormat?

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jan 19 11:07:46 GMT 2011

In article <4D3595E3.4090306 at bbk.ac.uk>, ken <k.brown at bbk.ac.uk> writes
>> ...I think that I want
>> something stronger in law, something that responds to the very
>> nature of these voicemail messages (and of emails)
>
>It seems hard to define the limits of such a law in a way that doesn't
>make quite normal behaviour illegal.

Agreed. And the current law concentrates mainly on what hoops the
authorities have to jump through in order to do classic "wiretapping"
(and its analogues). The prospect of nosey civilians (including
corporates) snooping on one another doesn't really enter into it - and
hence, I'm sure, the long term disinclination of the police to even
investigate.

It's the same with the other provisions, for comms data and surveillance
- it's all about what public authorities can and can't do - none of
which helps me (as an individual with a grievance) tracing that eBay
scammer of Facebook stalker