outsourcing GP appointments to India: is this legal under DPA?

Richard Clayton richard at highwayman.com
Sun Jan 16 14:42:43 GMT 2011

In article <AANLkTikq+opLXYvpak-SGbyPxe0X6DbE6k0Qnu7=2TcC at mail.gmail.com
>, Matthew Pemble <matthew at pemble.net> writes

>    I'll admit I don't quite understand your porn-magnate
>    counter-example. Happy to get pointers directly if you think I'm
>    missing something basic that the rest of the list are entirely
>    clueful of :)

I think Roland may be referring to R v Waddon 1999 and R v Perrin 2002
(easy to locate with your favourite search engine), where people in the
UK were operating [adult material] obscene websites in the US.

If they had been in the US then it would be different, but since they
were in the UK and publishing material that could be seen in the UK they
were both convicted under the 1957 Act because the publishing activities
were committed within the jurisdiction.

Child sexual abuse images are more complex (or simpler!) to consider
because there are offences of mere possession to consider, along with
some extra-territorial provisions (for sex tourism for example).

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755