Starmer dumps doormat?

Caspar Bowden (travelling private e-mail) tharg at gmx.net
Sat Jan 15 16:40:22 GMT 2011

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/13/ripa_email_advice/
Yates said the following (at Q5):  Hacking is defined in a very prescriptive
way by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act and it's very, very
prescriptive and it's very difficult to prove.... There are very few
offences that we are able to actually prove that have been hacked. That is,
intercepting the voicemail prior to the owner of that voicemail intercepting
it him or herself.

The supposition is that Yates was thinking of
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/2000/jun/12/regulation-of-investiga
tory-powers-bill <<<1438 Bassam: ...The definition of "interception" is
limited to interception of a communication in the course of its transmission
by certain means. To take one example, a letter which has been delivered
through a letterbox and is lying on a doormat is no longer in the course of
its transmission-it has, after all, arrived>>>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/07/phone-hacking-voicemails-law-int
erception
Addressing the home affairs select committee today John Yates, the assistant
Metropolitan police commissioner, repeated earlier claims by police that
cases of hacking into voicemails could only be prosecuted if the victim had
not yet listened to their messages. "That is nonsense, and a recurring
problem with this police position in this case," said Simon McKay, author of
Covert Policing Law & Practice. "The police are getting confused about a
number of things relating to the evidential status of a voicemail....