NHS Number

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jan 10 13:18:41 GMT 2011

In article <op.vo3bmwug6hl8nm at clerew.man.ac.uk>, Charles Lindsey
<chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes
>> Going back to the main issue - is the ability to get hold of
>> someone else's NHS number any sort of problem?
>
>Look at the problems caused by the widspread use of Social Security
>Numbers for non-social pourposes in the USA.
>
>For any sort of number that reliably identifies a person (that seems to
>include NHS numbers but not NI numbers)

Even if NI numbers are less reliable, they should be included in the
scope of any discussion like this.

>it should be illegal to ask for  that number outside of a context
>clearly related to the original purpose  of that number.

There's a list of "approved" uses of NI numbers. I don't what the
sanction is for breaching it.

On a broader note, DPA stipulates that data shall be "relevant and not
excessive" (3rd Principle), and could also be brought into play.

>So I would not expect to be asked for my NHS number when applying for
>car  insurance, for example.

I refused to give my NI number to an estate agent recently; they put up
a struggle but I was very firm about it! And the lack didn't seem to
hinder their subsequent activity.