Iran GPS Spoofing and the RSA Cipher

John Brazier prunesquallor at proproco.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 23:37:49 GMT 2011

Dear all,

I am now no doubt out of date, but one of the rules I learnt was that an
encryption system only has to be as good as the timescale you're concerned
about.

So the Playfair was completely appropriate as a battlefield cypher in the
First World War: even if you knew the system, it would take you at least an
hour to derive the key, at which point the information was redundant.

I would assume any of these drones is a technological compromise between
flight time, control, and weapons delivery.  The last probably being the
most important, it would mean that they would, assuming their control system
is cryptographically protected, go for the simplest possible system that
gives them protection within the expected flight time. That, to me, would
certainly exclude RSA as its computing baggage would be better directed
towards things like targeting.

But I'm not an expert in this domain.

TTFN

JB