Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Fri Dec 16 16:40:56 GMT 2011

Roland Perry wrote:
> There's no umbrella list required, all it needs is for hosting ISPs to
> refrain from reallocating a small address range to a new customer when
> they know very well that their original customer got blocked.

Do they? How? We're talking about the server host, who probably hasn't seen
a copy of the injunction because the MPAA are currently targeting
intermediaries.

Furthermore, the injunction allows rights holders to directly notify the
intermediaries (UK ISPs).  There's no reason the host's service provider
should be ware.

And, as I've said numerous times in my posts under this subject, my primary
worry is not the IP addresses used by Newzbin or any other host blocked.
It's the "any other site whose sole or predominant" blah blah blah.

I stand by my original assertion that this is a problem and represents a
very real risk of overblocking as more sites, more ISPs and more IP
addresses are added to the block list.

Nothing you've said would in my opinion, given specific knowledge of the
types of data systems used in hosting companies make this problem go away,.

James Firth