Sky blocks Newzbin, important legal and technical questions need answering

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Thu Dec 15 16:54:11 GMT 2011

Clive Feather wrote:
> James Firth said:
> > On point (1), Sky could be forgiven for rolling over easily.  BT were
> hit by
> > a potentially massive costs ruling.
>
> But, as I read the final judgement, the costs were for unsuccessfully
> appealing the original decision on the order, not for fighting the
> order in
> the first place.

I had read that section several times, in fact I've previously blogged on
that *and* had discussions with a legal expert along those lines, although I
can't say in relation to what.  But it was my understanding that BT would
have found it hard to challenge on a point-by-point basis to the extent they
did whilst maintaining a "neutral" stance.

I have no specific knowledge of BT's thinking so you may well be right. In
fact I hope you're right, and I hope other ISPs will walk unafraid in this
area.

James