Reporting scam emails to Met Police

Igor Mozolevsky mozolevsky at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 17:53:59 GMT 2011

On 4 December 2011 17:15, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:
> Peter Sommer said:
>> Fraud by false representation
>> (1)A person is in breach of this section if he?
>> (a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and
>> (b)intends, by making the representation?
>> (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
>> (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
>
> Note that you need to show real loss, not just damage to reputation or
> something like that

[snip]

No, you merely need to show that `another' has been exposed to a risk
of loss (second alternative in §(2(1)(b)(ii)); loss includes not
getting something that one might get (note `might' not `will')
(§5(4)). One may argue that damaged reputation exposes the person
whose reputation was damaged to a risk of loss as a consequence.
Whether that would work, I don't know, I don't know of any authority
to say one way or another...

Cheers,

--
Igor :-)