British intelligence agency called in to break BlackBerry encryption

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Aug 30 20:07:04 BST 2011

* Peter Fairbrother:

> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/british-spy-agency-called-in-to-crack-blackberry-encryption/12281

| Having said that, it is not clear whether Research in Motion has the
| encryption keys for BlackBerry Messenger — knowing full well that it
| doesn’t for individual server setups.

How do they implement secure multicast without a trusted third party?
SSH-style leap-of-faith authentication?  This seems unlikely.  I'm
pretty sure RIM has key material.

Have we got transcripts of message exchanges which led to riots?  I
seriously doubt that the cryptography is the problem here, it's more
how the communication groups are set up, which makes interception
without keyword scanning or lots of data mining rather fruitless.