Card transactions by proxy

Mark Lomas ukcrypto at absent-minded.com
Fri Apr 8 17:58:12 BST 2011

On 8 April 2011 13:10, Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> wrote:

> > If there is a mobile provider I can choose which does not charge a
> > premium for 0800 calls, I am not aware of it.
>
> Orange used to, but stopped it because of abuse via calling cards.

Why do you think that calling cards might be an abuse?

Please note that 0800 numbers aren't really free, not even from a landline.
The recipient is charged for such calls. It is similar in principle to a
reverse charges call.

If you use a calling card then the service provider is reimbursed at
whatever rate they have negotiated for interchange fees, which strikes me as
a good market solution to abuse by the service provider. Indeed, it ought to
be a license condition that service providers may neither block any 0800
number nor make any charges to the caller.

Mark