Card transactions by proxy

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Apr 8 13:10:11 BST 2011

> If there is a mobile provider I can choose which does not charge a
> premium for 0800 calls, I am not aware of it.

Orange used to, but stopped it because of abuse via calling cards.

Does anyone know if http://www.numberstore.com/services/iphone is legitimate?

The charging of absurd amounts of money for non-geos is a consequence of charging very low rates for non-geos, coupled with quite high termination payments.  It's rather like the way in which bank charging swung from "free if you had a balance of £50" (in the days when £50 was quite a lot of money) to "free", at the expense of a complex menu of charging the moment you went outside the "free" boundaries.   There's a chase to the bottom problem, because "charge me your costs plus a margin on each billable item" deals have been submerged under artificial "this free, but you pay for that" (1) deals.  Cross-subsidy within a business results in this sort of nonsense.

ian

(1) Not quite a Neil Young lyric