Card transactions by proxy

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Apr 8 11:23:15 BST 2011

In article <20110408093212.GC28020 at snowy.squish.net>, Jon Ribbens
<jon+ukcrypto at unequivocal.co.uk> writes

>>> Why is it good that they have a premium rate phone number?
>>
>> It's good that they have a number which I can call for free, rather than
>> sorting out their problems at my expense.
>>
>> ps It's not a premium rate number, as I'm sure you know.
>
>Well, it's not a "premium rate" number by Ofcom's definition, but it's
>a "premium rate" number in that I will be charged at a "premium rate"
>for calling it compared to calling ordinary 01/02/03 numbers.
>Apologies for the tangent though ;-)

I think we should be careful when using jargon which has a precise
meaning (such as "Premium Rate"), to nurse a grudge about "high cost"
calls, which is presumably an artefact of your chosen phone supplier.

There's enough confusion about the cost of phone calls, without
deliberately introducing more of it into the conversation.

As it happens, Ofcom is consulting on making 0800 calls from mobiles
genuinely free, and they are free from my landline. I hope this doesn't
have the unintended consequence of those folks currently offering 0800
simply moving their call centres to something with a charge.