Card transactions by proxy

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 12:47:27 BST 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:36:17 +0100, Peter Mitchell <otcbn at callnetuk.com>
wrote:

> Cheques or SOs cannot be set up without your signature or a similar
> means of authorisation. If they are, you can repudiate them relatively
> easily, although - as with all frauds - the accountholder will suffer
> inconvenience until it is resolved.

Yes they can because, as I was surprised to discover, the piece of paper
with your signature is never shown to the bank. The Setter-up just informs
the bank that they have the authority, and it happens.

This happened to my wife. They knew the bank details because they needed
to pay dividends to her. But they also set up a DD facility (though they
had no signed authority) even though no payments from my wife would arise.
Two years later, they raised a DD which the Bank paid (but immediately
unscrambled when asked). But I doubt that "they" could have produced the
signed paper after two years, even if it had existed.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.