Card transactions by proxy

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Apr 5 10:16:56 BST 2011

In article <4D9ACC33.3020902 at callnetuk.com>, Peter Mitchell
<otcbn at callnetuk.com> writes
>>the local HSBC branch; which has another  interesting feature - they
>>have no counter service, just a range of  machines in the lobby that I
>>doubt you can use for paying into random  accounts, rather than
>>accounts you have a special card for].
>
>If it's like my local HSBC branch, yes you can. These
>machines have built-in OCR/scanners allowing you to feed in
>the Bank Giro Credit slip and your cheque, and the machine
>reads them and somehow pays the money over from your
>chequing account into the collection account via Giro (whatever that
>is), and prints you a receipt. You don't need to have an HSBC account
>or a card.

Where do you get the Giro Credit slip from, for Council tax?

One of my Credit Card providers stopped printing a Giro slip on the
bottom of the statements a year ago "to save paper". although there's
still as much paper, just a saving of ink in the blank space where the
giro slip used to be. I can only pay them electronically now.