Card transactions by proxy

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 10:25:54 BST 2011

On 04/04/2011 10:14, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <32797A21-D2BB-4B1B-A9EA-BC45CA32B17C at batten.eu.org>, Ian
> Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>> I don't feel inclined to book a hotel just to find out, but I'm
>> pretty certain they are an exception.
>
> Hotels are "different" because they routinely 'reserve' some of the
> cardholder's credit, although in the relatively recent C&P world they
> seem to make a nominal ($100 or whatever) charge as a refundable
> deposit, which doesn't show up on your statement because they cancel
> the transaction when you checkout.
That triggers something, at a tangent. Transport for London is, as many
of you will know, adding contactless bank payment to its portfolio of
technology methods. They want to retain exactly the same daily fare
capping as they have with classic Oyster cards, so they will daily
aggregate all the taps that you make with your bank card, and then
compute overnight the amount to charge to your card account, and ship
off one transaction to your bank. So your taps are just for card
authentication and logging of the location of the tap. The question was
how to do this, and thus was created the concept of the zero value
transaction between card and terminal (and possibly associated with it
may be online authentication back to a local server, including checking
against a hot list - I'm not sure if that online server side transaction
process will be implemented in London).

Peter