Card transactions by proxy

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 3 22:43:40 BST 2011

On 3 April 2011 20:53, Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> wrote:

> Or, alternatively, borrow the phone for two minutes and set up unconditional
> call forwarding on it.  The punter might not notice for some time, depending
> on how frequently they get incoming calls.  I don't think the caller has any
> way to establish the ident of the terminating phone, do that?

The same codes as BT uses should work on GSM phones:
*#21# queries unconditional forwarding
*#61# queries divert on no answer
*#67# queries divert on busy

Most mobiles also have query functions buried somewhere in their menus.

More directly undermining Jim's suggestion, unfortunately there is
already malware reported for mobile phones that intercepts
authentication codes sent by some banks to mobile phones, e.g.:
http://www.banktech.com/articles/227700043

ttfn, Tony