Card transactions by proxy

Peter Mitchell otcbn at callnetuk.com
Sun Apr 3 22:35:20 BST 2011

Roland Perry wrote  on 3-04-11 14:56:
> In article
> <AANLkTim_qXSiOR_SoPTy7nn+cJHSb2t5GYc7yDOg8_JQ at mail.gmail.com>, Tony
> Naggs <tony.naggs at googlemail.com> writes
>
>> Locally (Cambridge) I sometimes make my monthly council tax payment at
>> the Post Office, where they swipe my council issued magnetic stripe
>> card and then take a payment from my debit card using their Chip & Pin
>> terminal.
>
> My council closed their "cash office" for good last Friday. Although it
> also took cheques, and Credit Cards for a £2 fee.
>
> Apparently, if I want to pay in person now, I have to find a PayPoint,
> but I doubt they take cheques and certainly don't take debit or credit
> cards.

One possible alternative is to pay a cheque over the counter
at a branch of the bank where the council's collection
account is held. Their bank will be named on the Bank Giro
Credit slips provided in your council tax paybook.

I haven't tried this method yet myself, I just send them a
cheque. But it does work for other paying other utility bills.