Card transactions by proxy

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Sun Apr 3 20:46:47 BST 2011

> It is my understanding that a very similar thing happens when you do
> some business transaction over the phone (like booking a hotel).  The
> call center agent typically enters your credit card details into a web
> application on your behalf.

My recollection of booking hotels online is that it's unusual for them
to want the CV2, even for "payment even if you don't show up" special
offers.  I've always assumed that as their relationships with credit
card companies are amongst the oldest, and the whole issue of things
like "reserving credit" is there for the hotel industry's benefit (and
car hire, I guess), they play by different rules.

ian