Register of Electors by internet

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 18:39:33 BST 2010

I have received my electoral registration form from my local Bristol
City Council. It invites me to register by internet. To do this, I have
to visit:

    www.registerbyinternet.com/Bristol/default.aspx

which immediately offers me:

    https://www.registerbyinternet.com/Bristol/default.aspx

and Kaspersky IS chokes on the digital certificate, because the issuer
isn't included in its base set of trusted certificate providers.

I'm using Firefox v3.6.8 and Kaspersky IS 2009.

I started looking:

   Domain Name: REGISTERBYINTERNET.COM
   Registrar: EASYSPACE LTD.
   Whois Server: whois.easyspace.com
   Referral URL: http://www.easyspace.com
   Name Server: NS1.NAMECITY.COM
   Name Server: NS2.NAMECITY.COM
   Updated Date: 28-feb-2010
   Creation Date: 30-mar-2004
   Expiration Date: 30-mar-2012

Name & Registered Office:
EASYSPACE LIMITED
GROUND FLOOR
11-21 PAUL STREET
LONDON
UNITED KINGDOM
EC2A 4JU
Company No. 03405586

Kaspersky reports the following about the certificate:

    The site attempts to identify itself with invalid information

    Certificate is not trusted, because it hasn't been verified by a
recognised authority

    Issued by:
      Common Name: Kaspersky Anti-Virus personal root certificate

So there is another UK company involved:

ELECTORAL REFORM SERVICES LIMITED
THE ELECTION CENTRE
33 CLARENDON ROAD
HORNSEY
LONDON
N8 0NW
Company No. 02263092

I wonder if CESG has checked all this out...

Peter

PS Quite a few sites use this Kaspersky certificate - and not for the
personal use that it appears to be provided for.