More on Doormat : RIPA, Hacking and how Gmail *could* be legal

James Firth james2 at jfirth.net
Mon Sep 13 12:49:23 BST 2010

El Reg has reposted this from Amberhawk:

Police legal advice gives spam RIPA protection
- None for your read messages though
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/13/ripa_email_advice/

I don't know if anyone's been following my input on here and elsewhere on
how services such as Gmail could be operated legally from the UK but this
opinion is pretty much in line with my non-legal interpretation.

Obviously from the Doormatologist thread all this is just opinion still to
be tested.

I have no direct knowledge of how Gmail actually works, but I've previously
argued a hypothetical service using Javascript running in the subscriber's
browser could read and interpret incoming email as soon as the subscriber
has clicked "read".