Doormat-ologist needed

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 20:08:09 BST 2010

Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> [...]
>

> I don't know the detailed grounds behind the Police's attitude, they
> ain't saying, but afaict it would have to directly contradict the above
> somehow, and I cannot see any way the above could be incorrect.
>

> An apparent difficulty may arise when the storage device is eg an
> answering machine in the recipient's house, which is not obviously and
> unambiguously part of the system as defined. However the difficulty is
> only apparent, not real.
>
> At some point the answering machine was used to transmit the message,
> and thus was undoubtedly part of some telecommunications system at that
> time. The question arises, is it still part of the system "by means of
> which the communication is being, or has been, transmitted".
>
> Even if it's only part of a system by which the communication "has been"
> transmitted, if it's being used to store the communication so that the
> recipient can access it then the communications it contains are to be
> considered as being "in transmission" as far as section 2 of RIPA are
> concerned.
>

> RIPA makes no mention whatsoever of whether a communication has been
> received or read as having anything to do with whether or not it is in
> transmission.
>
> So lets extend this a bit, to messages and texts in a mobile phone -
> they are "in transmission". Also, emails in seized computers - again,
> whether they have been read or not is irrelevant, and as long as they
> are in eg the inbox they are to be considered to be in transmission.
>
> As the Police regularly look at texts when they seize mobiles, and
> emails when they seize computers, they aren't too keen on the correct
> interpretation of the law - properly, they need a PACE warrant to look
> at them.
>

>> "I don't know where the police are getting this interpretation from,"
>> a senior lawyer close to the case said. "It's well known that Ripa is
>> not the clearest piece of legislation, but these guidelines seem
>> pretty clear."
>

> For a guide to Parliament's intentions, and possibly the guidelines
> referred to, see this from the HO's explanatory notes, at
>
> http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmbills/064/en/00064x--.htm
>

> [...] where an existing statutory power is used in order to obtain
> stored communications. In the latter case, this covers circumstances
> such as where a person has been arrested in possession of a pager, and
> the police have reason to believe that the messages sent previously to
> that pager may be of assistance in the case. In this case they would be
> able to apply to seek from a circuit judge an order under Schedule 1 to
> the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 for the stored data to be
> produced.
>
> The section being discussed removes acts which would otherwise be
> interception from the scope of the definition in s.2 if they are covered
> by existing powers to access stored communications.

ooops, had a niggle about that, and had to look it up. To be accurate,
the section in question (s.5(3)) makes looking at pager messages lawful,
under RIPA and eg PACE, rather than making it not an interception under
RIPA.

So looking at pager messages is interception, it's just not illegal if
done under eg a PACE warrant. nothing I have seen suggests that whether
they have been read or not makes any difference.

-- pf