Man jailed over computer password refusal

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Oct 8 16:52:04 BST 2010

On 07 Oct 10, at 1823, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 09:27:55AM +0100, Peter Mitchell wrote:
>> As a juror I certainly wouldn't vote for conviction, in fact I'd send a
>> note to the judge asking him to reprimand the CPS for abuse of process and
>> seeking to pervert the course of justice.
>
> If the webserver logfiles and ISP records have been preserved then we
> should be able to tell at least between:
>
> (a) he never visited the site in question

What records would show that?  It's reasonable to assume that the webserver is outside UK jurisdiction, and I presume that porn barons don't keep detailed logs on non-volatile storage. And if is ISP is prospectively keeping detailed, URL level logs then they're breaking the law.  If there were RIPA-warranted interception going on, then that didn't come out in the case.

ian