Man jailed over computer password refusal

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Thu Oct 7 10:36:15 BST 2010

 On 06/10/2010 21:17, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Nicholas Bohm:
>> A sentence of 16 weeks may be a good bargain compared with what he might
>> have got for a substantive offence if there were evidence hje had
>> committed one.
> Can't the authorities issue a new notice, and non-compliance with that
> would result in a second sentence, over and over again, at least until
> the ECHR ends this mockery of law (as they did with a similar
> provision in the Insolvency Act)?

I don't think anything in RIPA prevents this (though the second time
around, the defence "I've forgotten the password" may have gained
credibility through the lapse of time, so preventing further convictions).

It might be regarded as an abuse of process; and the ECHR case law might
be relevant (do you have a citation - I don't recognise the case from
your reference?)

Nicholas
--
Contact and PGP key here <http://www.ernest.net/contact/index.htm>