Nominet as official police censors

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Mon Nov 29 08:49:57 GMT 2010

On 29 Nov 10, at 0715, Peter Tomlinson wrote:

> Peter Mitchell wrote:
>> What an excellent way of enforcing a police officer's personal interpretation of (say) the Obscene Publications Act, without having to trouble the courts. I look forward to the disappearance of all DH Lawrence study sites.
> Thus putting yet another cost burden on students, as they would have to buy the books and the commentaries on the books... (A friend's daughter is studying DHL as part of an English Lit degree - like so many others, she is having to work hard in a minimum wage job to fund her studies without taking on even more "student debt" - DHL book text is available on line FOC for study purposes, so I assume other books in the same genre are similarly available.)

For those that think the police acting as censors of academic study is fanciful, let us consider University of Central England (previously Birmingham Polytechnic, now Birmingham Metropolitan University.  Peter Knight is an absolute hero of this, because he and the senate went toe-to-toe with the police (and the wikipedia article, below, doesn't come close to describing just how toe-to-toe it was, from what one hears locally):