Contactless bank cards

Peter Mitchell otcbn at callnetuk.com
Fri Nov 19 10:19:57 GMT 2010

Ian Mason wrote  on 19-11-10 02:48:

> On 18 Nov 2010, at 17:28, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <B904FFC8-7ADB-478E-8430-C66FBA4E9CA6 at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk>, Ian
>> Mason <ukcrypto at sourcetagged.ian.co.uk> writes
>>
>>> However, even in circular form it would easily fit the "Entrance £5"
>>> scenario posited by Nick (I think) where it could be concealed in a
>>> premise's entrance, or disguised as one of the loop antenna used in
>>> shop entrances for theft prevention, which we all walk past and
>>> ignore every day.
>>
>> But will be discovered as soon as one person challenges their credit
>> card bill. It's not the kind of thing a rogue minimum wage employee is
>> going to set up.
>
> No, it requires corporate fraud, sadly the norm nowadays. I've been in
> trouble for being the "one honest man" before now - no names, no pack
> drill.

Me too. And the banks will collude: "I'm sorry sir, our cards are entirely secure against fraud, so you must have agreed to that transaction.  After all you admit you were in the Streatham Hill Spearmint Rhino Gentlemen's Club on that date. If you prefer, we can check that with your wife ..."

> Nick's scenario is the most realistic threat - "Admission £5.00".

I agree - and one can think of many variations on it. The ethics are similar to the procedure whereby insurance or utility companies set up "continuous credit card authorities" on the basis of your presumed consent to some 3pt type deep in the bowels of their web site, and if you protest they say "But it's there on the T&Cs page ... "

--
Pete Mitchell