Contactless bank cards

Tom Thomson colinthomson1 at o2.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 00:24:11 GMT 2010

Ian, I think you inhabit a different world from mine.  I use the stores of three three different supermarket chains who operate in my town, all of which open the till on credit card transactions to allow the vendors copy of the cc receipt to be placed in the till.  I've been in supermarkets where this doesn't happen, but far more often in supermarkets where it does, and I don't believe that the supermarkets will pay the extra cost of changing the till system to avoid opening the cash drawer when they change the card reader to operate contactless without pins.

In an ideal world where all the retailers ensure that the cash drawer is not opened for card transactions (except those using cash-back) your argument might be valid; but I don't live in that ideal world, and neither do most people.

M.