Consultation on change to RIP interception definition ("unintentional interception")

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Nov 17 16:10:11 GMT 2010

In article <FA34FF4BE43B854BAC2F5F2C32239E2F0146BE at EXC001>, Andrew
Cormack <Andrew.Cormack at ja.net> writes

>How about an iPad that gives up its DHCP lease but keeps on using the address?
>(http://www.net.princeton.edu/announcements/ipad-iphoneos32-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address.html)

I think I heard about a related problem on one of the UK's GSM data
networks many years ago. If a handset dropped off, and another came
online and was given the same IP address, it would start receiving
(mainly streaming iirc) data that was originally intended for the first
handset.

And (on a much longer timescale) I could imagine someone with a static
IP address and an MX server disappearing (but their DNS entries
remaining), and their IP address being reassigned to another subscriber,
who might start receiving some "wrong" emails (mainly Spam, but I don't
see an exemption for intercepting those) if he sets up an MX server.

Oh, and the same again when a Domain registration lapses, and someone
else registers it.