European Parliament proposes tough behavioural ad rules

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Sat Nov 13 15:00:04 GMT 2010

On 13/11/2010 12:32, Joel Harrison wrote:
> [...]

I hadn't thought of PECR - thanks.

> If the recipient has notified the sender that he consents to receiving the
> e-mails, there's no requirement to provide an unsubscribe mechanism (reg
> 22(2)).  However, if the sender is relying on reg 22(3) (i.e. the sender has
> obtained the recipient's contact details through negotiations for sale of a
> product/service, and the communication is about similar products/services),
> reg 22(3)(c) requires that the recipient be given a "simple means" of
> refusing further e-mails at the time of each e-mail.  The refusal mechanism
> must also be free of charge, other than the costs of transmitting the
> refusal.  This doesn't explicitly require the inclusion of an automatic link
> in each e-mail (hence "almost"), but it's obviously the most straightforward
> way - I can see "log on to your account on our website, go to your account
> details and click 'unsubscribe'" as qualifying as "simple means".

Like most people, I get plenty of spam to which neither 22(2) nor 22(3)
applies, and almost none to which either do apply.  But it still often
offers me unsubscribe links, which do indeed seem a handy mechanism for
phishers.  This stuff is no doubt well-intentioned, but I still think
it's naive to the point of being clueless.

Nicholas
--
Contact and PGP key here <http://www.ernest.net/contact/index.htm>