Consultation on change to RIP interception definition

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 15:14:39 GMT 2010

Nicholas Bohm wrote:

>>> The heat death of the universe will occur sooner.  Why would anyone
>>> voluntarily sign up for such a scheme, which makes ID cards look
>>> positively cuddly?
>>>
>> You might have to in order to do business with some big, global online
>> retailers - 'thin client' to go in your PC has been mentioned, but
>> Chatham House Rule applies to the meeting at which the ID of the
>> source was mentioned (i.e. I can't say who).
>>
>> Directgov, however, wants a method just for UK public sector services,
>> but the more open concept of making this available to all online
>> service providers has been indicated to them. And the US White House
>> consulted this summer, asking for ideas for a general method to have
>> safe online IDs.
>>
> A cynical way of looking at this is that the (UK) Government has failed
> in its attempt to get compulsory ID cards, and is now trying to get
> together a global alliance of governments and private sector bodies in
> order to make it impracticably inconvenient for citizens to do without
> the ID they crave.
Actually I don't see any sign of UK govt working with anybody else on
this, and its only part of UK govt at the moment - the proposal (and the
couple of OJEU notices put out to ask for information about methods
offered, plus the G-Digital web site http://gdigital.direct.gov.uk)
appear to be simply blinkered thinking. The private sector initiative
that I referred to appears to be looking at the global scene, in the way
that increasingly I see big internet players simply trying to rise above
national interests because their interest is in business, everywhere.
The USA federal initiative does, however, appear to be rather more open.

Peter