Consultation on change to RIP interception definition

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Thu Nov 11 09:01:03 GMT 2010

Hmmm. It's tempting to reply to the HO's consultation question of "how will this affect CSPs?" by saying that it'll make 3(1) useless since, as discussed on the list last time around, the CSP will never know whether the "person" who indicated consent (however that's implemented) is still the "person" sitting at the keyboard. Not just the question of whether the "subscriber" has consented on behalf of all users of the account, but whether one user has handed the keyboard to another since clicking "I agree" :(

Actually I'm struggling to think how a 3(1) that was dependent on the *fact* of whether that person had consented (which I think would be the effect of deleting the "reasonable belief" clause: Francis?) could ever be safely relied on by anyone. So maybe the net effect of the proposed change will actually be to delete the whole of 3(1)???

On another topic: does anyone know if Ireland has an equivalent of RIPA Pt III?
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/anglo-chiefs-facing-quiz-on-missing-passwords-2413749.html

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser, JANET(UK)
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcott. OX11 0SG UK

JANET, the UK's education and research network