Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:51:11 BST 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:39:02 +0100
Nicholas Bohm <nbohm at ernest.net> wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> > Charles Lindsey said:
> >
> >> Once they have a list of addresses of sites, they they are
> >> perfectly entitled to visit those sites (as is anybody else) and
> >> to probe them for malware.
> >>

> > No they aren't. You may recall that, a couple of years ago, someone
> > was convicted of computer misuse because he probed a site for
> > malware - to be precise, he put "/.." on an URL.
>
> Useful point: do you have a reference?

Dan Cuthbert. He was trying to make a donation to a Tsunami relief
charity web site and noted that the site was very slow and thought
perhaps he might be being phished, so he truncated the URL back to just
the host name. He was prosecuted for purely that action, possibly
because as an IT professional the police thought he should realise that
such an action would be unauthorised.

--

Brian Morrison