Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 18:40:18 BST 2010

Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> Charles Lindsey wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 02:07:26 +0100, Peter Fairbrother
>> <zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry. missed a bit here.
>>>
>>> It would be lawful interception under 3(3) if it was being done "for
>>> purposes connected with the .. operation of that (telecommunications)
>>> service" - but I don't think it is.
>>
>> It seems that they are monitoring their outbound servers to compile
>> lists of IP addresses to which stuff is being sent.
>
> No they aren't. They are collecting full URLs as sent by their customers.
>
> Then they request the same pages, and check them for malware etc, or at
> least that's what they claim to be doing.
>
>> That would be perfectly legal if used, for example, to fine-tune their
>> routeing tables.
>
> Collecting IPs, perhaps - but not full URLs.
>>
>> But they go further by examining the port number and only including
>> packets addressed to port 80 in their lists. That is trickier, but if
>> they claim that part of the "telecommunications service" that they
>> offer is blocking sites that dispense malware, spams, phishes, etc,
>> then they might claim that this particular interception was for the
>> purpose of providing that feature of their service.
>
> They might, and probably will - but they could claim the same for
> filtering on political grounds, or any grounds they want to,
>
> RIPA says that they can intercept if it's for purposes connected with
> the provision or operation of their telecommunications service, which is
> defined as a service

ooops, missed out a bit here.

“telecommunications service” means any service that consists in the
provision of access to, and of facilities for making use of, any
telecommunication system (whether or not one provided by the person
providing the service); and

“telecommunication system” means any system (including the apparatus
comprised in it) which exists (whether wholly or partly in the United
Kingdom or elsewhere) for the purpose of facilitating the transmission
of communications by any means involving the use of electrical or
electro-magnetic energy.

Now I could go into detail about this, yet again, but I've done it
before - so I'll just say that I read that to mean they can only
intercept  for purposes connected to their ability to pass messages.

TalkTalk's actions do not fall under 3(3) because they do not facilitate
the transmission of communications. If it didn't happen then people
would still be able to get web service as normal.

Email spam and virus filtering arguably does fall under 3(3), because if
it didn't happen then email would be unuseable.