Is an (inaccurate) national adress database a treat to privacyand sometimes personal security?

Mary Hawking maryhawking at tigers.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 08:01:17 GMT 2010

Sorry, my mistake

Mary Hawking

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Batten [mailto:igb at batten.eu.org]
Sent: 06 December 2010 18:52
To: UK Cryptography Policy Discussion Group
Subject: Re: Is an (inaccurate) national adress database a treat to
privacyand sometimes personal security?

> I think there's some misunderstanding here. As I understand it, this new
announcement concerns a database of just addresses

Correct.  This dataset does not contain names of people: it merely contains
a list of street addresses.  Unless you've changed the name of your house to
include your name, it is of no value to your opponents.  I think Pickles'
announcement probably also marks the end of the PO monopoly on postcodes,
which would be a very good thing.

ian