Bank signatures - not crypto

Peter Sommer peter at pmsommer.com
Sun Aug 22 11:36:46 BST 2010

As Nicholas says,  this appears to be a problem in banking practice
rather than law.

In the late 1990s most UK banks embarked on projects to examine the
details and "best practice" of scanning print documents,  including
cheques,  into electronic form.  The Civil Evidence Act, 1995,  meant
that it was no longer essential for banks and others to maintain
original hard copies - scanning has the virtues of saving space,  being
much easier to index and hence locate stuff when required, and also the
e-versions can be backed up.

Colleagues of mine at the LSE helped formulate what became BSI
PD0008/0009, which are the applicable standards.  (I played a rather
minor part).  The international, as opped to the British, version  is
now ISO15489.

Later one of the clearing banks asked us to do some consultancy specific
to their implementation of it.

Your bank is thus likely to have had many examples from which to obtain
the "sample" signature they decided to compare with the one you offered.

Peter Sommer

--
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL AND LEGALLY PRIVILEGED.  IT IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE NAMED ABOVE. IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE ANY DISTRIBUTION, COPYING OR DISCLOSURE OF THIS E-MAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER BY E-MAIL IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY THE ORIGINAL