Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Aug 12 10:28:25 BST 2010

In article <0BD2D72A-8B4C-4ED3-B263-1C4B857786BD at batten.eu.org>, Ian
Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>> No incoming calls either... from estate agents who were trying to
>>find me somewhere to live... so that ICL could stop having to pay me
>>to stay somewhere at their expense... as part of the relocation package.
>
>Well, unless you were unusual and had DDI, incoming calls consumed
>operator time back then, so there's a thin argument.

The switchboard consumed a bit of time finding the recipient within the
building complex, if they weren't at their desk (this would be for
people allowed incoming calls).

This was done almost exclusively by tannoy messages, which of course
resulted in people making prank calls for eg "Mr Ivor Biggun" (which
they'd read out if told the person was a visitor).

>But as you  imply, it's almost certainly mill-owner attitudes.

Indeed. The Tannoy especially.

>today, employee  access to phones and email is something of a dead
>issue, as you have  it in your pocket.

Of course, Ms Antoinette ;)