Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Wed Aug 11 18:43:44 BST 2010

On 11 Aug 2010, at 17:31, Roland Perry wrote:

> In article <4D33AB46-D7AA-4685-8BE2-18550F311D50 at batten.eu.org>, Ian
> Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes
>>> [1] Nor was one allowed to without permission. No private calls
>>> during the day either, which is instrumental in why I campaign
>>> about such things even today.
>>
>> Although at 10p/min
>
> For local calls, weren't they like 2p for unlimited time then?

I can't remember.  They certainly weren't unlimited time: calls then
were costed as minutes per unit.

>> it's easy to see why it was an issue in those  days,
>
> No incoming calls either... from estate agents who were trying to
> find me somewhere to live... so that ICL could stop having to pay me
> to stay somewhere at their expense... as part of the relocation
> package.

Well, unless you were unusual and had DDI, incoming calls consumed
operator time back then, so there's a thin argument.  But as you
imply, it's almost certainly mill-owner attitudes.

>> and the massive prevalence of mobile phones makes it much less  of
>> an issue than it used to be.  Since I left Fujitsu I've been going
>> around replacing "daytime contact" for things associated with the
>> children to my mobile number, and I've found that I'd actually
>> provided my mobile number for most of them anyway.
>
> I've used my mobile number for that since I first had an Orange
> phone (which for various reasons was a little before they launched).
> But that was 16 years after I left ICL!

Quite, there were ludicrousnesses back then.  But today, employee
access to phones and email is something of a dead issue, as you have
it in your pocket.  And in environments where it would be reasonable
to bar mobile phones, there would be deeper issues about pstn and
email as well.

ian