Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Mon Aug 9 20:48:21 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 14:10 +0100, Tom Thomson wrote:

> No, I don't think the 1904A memory management system was old-fashioned
> in 1968, although machines with safe memory management had by then
> been around for at least 5 years, for example both versions of Atlas
> antedated it and were in some respects more advanced (as was the
> memory management on its contemporary English Electric 4-75) and at
> least some 360s that predated it had decently secure memory
> management.  The disasters didn't happen until quite a few years later
> when the segmented memory and hard distinction between programme and
> data of early mini-processors (such as the CTL Modular 1) went out of
> fashion, and new fashions decreed that memory management systems like

Now there's a blast from the past.  I cut my programming teeth on a CTL
Mod 1, in both BASIC and Algol68R.  Although I used a 1906A with both
FORTRAN4 and Algol60, it wasn't until the 2980 came along (to Oxford
where I met those machines) that I did any serious work in Algol68.

I still think Algol68 is the nicest language I ever learned and I
greatly regret that it never caught on in a big way.  Perhaps an effort
could be made to re-popularize it.  If so, the IO library needs to be
dragged out of the 1960's.

Paul