Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

M J D Brown mjdb at dorevale.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 7 16:12:22 BST 2010

We could debate the difference between 'safe' and 'secure' code, but
assuming that you will be working and researching in the open arena for
a publishable PhD thesis, you might care to take a hard look at the
functional safety domain covered by the IEC 61508 standard.  The
normative parts of that standard may not be relevant to your subject
area, but I think you will find Part 7 of the Standard  'Overview of
Techniques and Measures' of particular interest.

One method that has its adherents is to employ a widely-used language
and compiler (on the basis that compiler faults may well have been
exposed in the course of widespread use), in conjuction with a
pre-processor that detects and thus excludes defined dangerous language
constructs.  Annotated Verifiable ADA (AVA), for example, employs the
'significant comment' concept to provide semantic instruction of the
programmer's intentions.

Mike.