Ofcom Do Security

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Thu Aug 5 12:26:48 BST 2010

From: "Ian Batten" <igb at batten.eu.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:39 AM
To: "UK Cryptography Policy Discussion Group"
<ukcrypto at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject: Ofcom Do Security

> When you register on the Ofcom site, you are forced to choose a  complex
> password: mixed case, 7--12 characters, must contain digits.

I REALLY loathe sites that enforce their own ideas on what should be in
passwords.

I have a carefully worked out scheme for setting my passwords and I very
often find that I cannot choose the password I want because it does not meet
the 'house rules' even though it is far stronger than most passwords that
would meet their rules.

If it is a commercial site I almost always go elsewhere but this is not
always possible with public service organisations.

    Brian