Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Ian Miller uk-crypto at singularis.ltd.uk
Thu Aug 5 01:02:28 BST 2010

At 17:28 +0100 4/8/10, Derek Fawcus wrote:
>Depending upon browser, client OS,  and server,  going up the tree
>can be achieved by:
>
>  1) Append '../'
>  2) Use backspace/delete to remove the characters at the tail of the URL
>  3) Use the mouse to sweep out (select) the the tail of the URL,
>     then press backspace/delete.
>  4) Some combination of double/triple click on the last component to
>     select it,  then backspace/delete.
>
>Of these,  when available 4 is the easiest,  followed by 1.

Actually there is (when available) an even easier method:-
   5) Click on the "Up" button.

Konqueror is the only browser that I know for sure has this, but there may
well be other browsers that do.  Browsers that, like Konqueror, are
designed to work both as web and file-system browser are more likely to
have such a facility.

With Konqueror I have on occasion truncated a URI by accidently hitting the
up-button.  Being next to the back-button, and the same colour it is very
easy to do.

Ian