Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI, but is it interception?)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Aug 2 14:22:50 BST 2010

Ian Batten said:
> I don't follow the argument.  Tescos have a policy of always
> prosecuting shoplifting, as theft.  Theft requires that the goods have
> left the shop.

Nitpick: theft requires that there be an intent to permanently deprive.

It is a lot easier to convince a jury that said intent exists if the person
is stopped after leaving the shop, but the offence is committed as soon as
they put the item in their bag without the intent of paying.

For example, if someone takes a swimming costume into the changing room,
puts it on under their clothes, and then continues shopping, the elements
of the offence are all there even if they haven't left the shop, and you
you could probably get a conviction in practice.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.