Blackberries , encryption and other mobile phones

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:17:45 BST 2010

Hi

Well that is quite a few questions bundled together, so I will try to
unpick them a little...

RIM (Research in Motion) Blackberry email uses a proprietary system to
"push" notifications of new email to phones.

Larger businesses using RIM will typically license and run their own
Blackberry Enterprise Server email service, sitting on a computer next
to their mail servers. (Or possibly on the same computer these days?)
The business manages their own security configuration, such as whether
encryption is used, pay RIM handsomely and are responsible for
conforming to local laws such as responding to search warrants. (E.g.
where an employee is suspected of doing something illegal, such as
drug dealing, where the police believe there may be evidence in the
employee's emails.)

Smaller businesses pay RIM to use their regional servers. For their
Blackberry users they forward emails to RIM, and the email arrival &
content is notified to the user over an encrypted connection. Like any
other communications provider RIM must conform to local rules on
providing law enforcement access to the content of the communications.

As UAE, India and Saudi Arabia appear unhappy with the kind of
cooperation of RIM must surely be giving in other territories the
inference is that these countries actually want blanket access to all
email. (They would most likely say that this is justified by the local
threat of terrorism.)

I am not sure how email works on the newer Blackberry devices being
sold to consumers, I thought they use the standard Internet protocols
that other phones use. These are very often not encrypted, but the
actual security will depend on combinations of configuration of the
device and the remote access email service offered by your ISP.

I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

Cheers,
Tony