Being safe on the internet (was Re: Here we go again - ISP DPI,butis it interception?)

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Sun Aug 1 14:03:52 BST 2010

Also worth re-reading the definition of the offence in the CMA: there's no requirement for harm to be caused.

From http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/ukpga_19900018_en_1#pb1-l1g1

"1 Unauthorised access to computer material
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure access to any program or data held in any computer;
(b) the access he intends to secure is unauthorised; and
(c) he knows at the time when he causes the computer to perform the function that that is the case."

There is some assistance in interpretation provided by sections 1(2) and 17, but those don't change the requirements for the offence.

As I read the judgment, the judge went through each of 1(1)(a) (b) & (c), concluded that all of them were true, and therefore the offence had been committed. Incidentally there are plenty of other offences that don't require harm to have occurred: driving past a red traffic light is a crime whether or not you run into anyone.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK

JANET, the UK's education and research network