Backup windows share with rsbackup?

Richard Kettlewell rjk at terraraq.org.uk
Sat Jan 27 20:16:55 GMT 2018

On 17/01/18 15:14, Samuel Wolf wrote:
> Sorry, i rename it during testing some setups.
> First idea was to mount (pre-backup-hook) the share before the volume
> and check *inside* the volume it is mounted.
>
> host tester
>   hostname localhost
>   pre-backup-hook /etc/rsbackup/scripts/pre-tester.sh
>   post-backup-hook /etc/rsbackup/scripts/post-tester.sh
>   volume data /mnt/tester
>     check-mounted true
>
> But "check-mounted true" inside the volume is also executing after the
> pre-backup-hook inside the host,
> so rsbackup can never backup this host.
>
> Second idea is pre-backup-hook return value !=0 which result in a error
> message every cron run if the host is offline.
>
> If "check-mounted true" inside the volume will executing after the
> pre-backup-hook inside the host everythink would be fine without
> error message from the cron.
> Hostname "localhost" with a ping check before backup will solve this
> problem as well.
>
> Is there any other idea to solve this issue?

Why it's like this: the original use case was LVM snaphots, not an
additional test for whether the filesystem was available. For that use
case, the logging is appropriate.

In the short term, I think the only answer is to ensure that the
filesystem is available before running rsbackup.

In the longer term, the hook API could be expanded to support your use case.

ttfn/rjk