rjk-nntp-tools: gcrypt library requires initialization before use

Matthew Vernon matthewv at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Jul 6 09:38:42 BST 2011

On 06/07/11 08:48, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> On 05/07/2011 12:35, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed log entries of the form "lj2news: Libgcrypt warning: missing
>> initialization - please fix the application". lj2news and bzr2news in
>> the version (0.21) that I have handy both use libgcrypt functions
>> without doing this. Section 2.4 of the gcrypt manual discusses the
>> initialisation functions:
>>
>> http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gcrypt/Initializing-the-library.html#Initializing-the-library
>
> I don't think I've ever seen this message. Where do you see it and what
> version of gcrypt are you using?

I see it in syslog (I'm usually invoking lj2news from a cron script, but
this happens when running it from the command-line too). The exact thing
in syslog is:
Jul  6 09:35:25 b144-mcv1-mlt lj2news: Libgcrypt warning: missing
initialization - please fix the application

I have Debian stable's gcrypt, which is libgcrypt11, Version: 1.4.5-2

HTH,

Matthew